Monday, November 30, 2015

The person who influenced me - MDM YEO

When I was asked to write about the person who influenced me, the first person that came into my mind was a teacher of mine during secondary school days. I was from Temasek Secondary School, it was considered one of the good schools in the east area. However, when I entered secondary school, my rebellious teenage days begin. 

My parents used to be very strict on me, even with the friends that I hang out with. They make sure I report to them wherever I go and whomever I was with. Nevertheless, I listened to them and used to be a very good student that turn up for school on time and score well in class as I have tuitions for almost every subjects I have in school. 

However, as time goes by, I didn't like the way they handle me, thus i started to rebel against my parents. I started skipping school and tuitions in school uniform and hang out with boys that are 3 years older in cyber gaming lan shops around school. Also, often return home as late as 11pm where my parents would often spam call me every single minute to check on me and I would usually lie to them that I am having tuition lessons. Life like this goes on continuously from mid of secondary 1 to secondary 3 where my results went down hill from being the top few in class to scoring last in class every semester. My parents receive calls from my teachers almost every school term telling them how badly I fair in class but it didn't affected me at all. During those days, I picked up smoking and after my classmates found out, I was being hated by them and I have no friends in school which makes life in school miserable thus I hated school a lot which makes me want to skip school more often.

During secondary 3, I had a very nice form teacher, Mdm Yeo. Mdm Yeo taught me Principle of Accounts (POA) and her lessons were very interesting. I began to like school and always turned up for school during the days when there is her lesson even though I have no friends in class. POA was the only subject that I could score an A whereas the rest will be either a D or a F grade. She knew my results were bad and often gave me counselling sessions where she would share with me about her life stories and gave me additional one to one consultation. Hence, I looked up to her and take her words seriously and started going to school everyday. Nevertheless, at my last semester of secondary 3, when Mdm Yeo handed me my report book, she told me "You can definitely do better!" I opened up the report book, looking forward to check for the new class status, but I was devastated when I saw the sentence "retained secondary 3". I started crying to myself as I thought that since I've been attending school , I will be able to get a promotion. I wasn't expecting a retain written on it. I went home, handed my mum the report book, when she looked at it, she had no expression but i could feel that she was very disappointed. During the night, I peeped into her room, I saw her crying to my dad telling him that she doesn't know how to handle me anymore. The scene was so disheartening that I could remember it vividly in my mind.

I began to feel very guilty and brought my report book to Mdm Yeo and asked if she could help me. Unexpectedly, her replied was "Yes, but you must promised me to start studying and do well in class." That was the day where, I woke up from my stupidness and stop being rebellious. Few days later, Mdm Yeo, the Principle and I had a meeting and they agreed to promoting me where the only condition was do well in my upcoming N levels. I agreed to it and started studying very hard during my secondary 4 for my N levels. Unexpectedly, I achieved to be the top 10 in school from my N levels. Tears of joy instantly row down my cheeks when I saw my name flashing on the visualiser in the theatre. 

Mdm Yeo is just like a mother to me, she was there for me during my lowest point in school. I looked up to her and admires her patience that she had given me. Without her, I wouldn't be myself today or even entering a university right now. Therefore, she had always been a person who had influence me to do well for my studies. I could never be more grateful for having her for treating me like her own children.

Thank you Mdm Yeo.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Kathleen, for sharing this intimate story with us. You describe in great detail how you became the wayward teenager, and how as a result of your dalliances, your grades suffered, and you reached the point where failure was nearly inevitable. In steps Madame Yeo to the rescue!

    This is a really heartening story. It shows how impactful a caring teacher can be. It also shows how important it is for adults, whether parents or teachers, to continue to show concern for their charges,' the young people in their care. In fact, I think most kids want exactly that: they want to know that they are loved, that they are important, and that their voice can be heard amidst all the noise of society. Your story reminds us of that, and it has a sort of universal quality. The 'prodigal daughter' returns.

    I am sure both Madame Yeo and your parents are very proud of you now, Kathleen. Your own struggle and perseverance is being rewarded by your acceptance into SIT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kathleen, I feel that your secondary school days were the craziest for you, well, I have never tried to play truant in school days so what I read may be something I never expected you to be, but that doesn't mean my impression of you changed, you're still you. :) Im glad you came out of it and saw the importance of life and studies from your teacher and I hope she knows she did inspire you in a way or another up till now. You can also share your experience with your sisters on this to educate them! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete