Monday, November 30, 2015

The Role of Peer and Tutor Feedback

Feedbacks is essential tool throughout a person's life, it brings about the change in the recipient's behavior. Feedbacks from peers and lecturers have given me the opportunity to further improve myself. Writing an essay is easy, however without feedbacks, I will not be able to understand and know where exactly my mistakes are. 

In Effective Communication class, we started off with writing about our personal experience and later proceed further on to report writing. At the same time we are required to give feedbacks on our peers work in order to help them further improve in their essay. However, as my writing skills wasn't that good, I was not confident in giving feedbacks to my peers as I thought that I might correct them wrongly. Nevertheless, I went further to research on how feedbacks are being given and I tried giving my peers feedbacks on their essay. Later I realized that by giving feedback to others, I am able to learn from their mistakes and even helping me to improve on my writing skills. 


Writing a proper report is an essential tool in SIT. Regardless of any modules such as Mathematics or Engineering Applications Module, we are still required to produce report writings on our projects. The skills that I have learnt in Effective Communication had shown to be beneficial to me, I not only improve on my writing skills, and it also improves on my language skills such as the grammar and vocabulary usage. In Addition by improving my language skills, it further help to improve on my presentation skills as I am much more confident in the way I speak and present myself. It also taught me on how a proper report is being written from the formatting of the report to the referencing and citation style of a report. Throughout the course, I believe I had a huge improvement in my writing as compared to how I had written in the past.


3 comments:

  1. Hello Kathleen,
    The role of peer feedback is important, so what is a good feedback to you?

    Also,I believe that everyone can take on the peer feedback role without the needs of a fantastic writing skill. Sometimes, all we need to take some time and be sincere with our feedback. I appreciate that you went and research on how to provide a proper feedback, this will come as a very important skill for us in the other coming SIT modules.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Kathleen,

    Essentially, feedback is a very useful tool in having another perspective. Thus, regardless of a person's writing skills, feedback provides an avenue for the recipient to check if the audience comprehends the intended message.

    Like you mentioned, giving feedback to others also provides the feedback giver an opportunity to learn from the mistakes. This is a 2-way system whereby both parties are able to improve, provided the feedback given is constructive.

    This module has shown us the importance of feedback and I hope we all will keep up this practice in our future.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Kathleen, for this highly detailed critical reflection. You do a very good job of reviewing what we did for the feedback exercises and how you felt about that. I'm glad you think that you learned through this process. You also state that what you did applies to other writing assignments.

    My only question now is this: How exactly -- beyond APA styling --might your experience with peer feedback this term inform your writing (or speaking) in future modules? Would there be any way to get peer feedback in the future?

    That aside, I'd like to thank you for all your effort this term, and I wish you the best as you continue your learning journey!

    ReplyDelete